2 lbs sweet Italian sausage
3 TBS best-quality olive oil
1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
3 sweet red peppers, stemmed, ribs and seeds removed cut into medium –size julienne
1 cup dry red wine
1 can (2 lbs, 3 oz ) Italian plum tomatoes, including liquid
1 cup water
1 TBS dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Dried red pepper flakes
1 tsp fennel seeds
½ cup chopped Italian parsley
6 or more garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- Prick the sausage links all over with the tines of a fork and put them in a pot with ½ inch of water. Set the pot over medium heat and simmer the sausages, uncovered, in the water for about 20 minutes. Eventually the pot will boil dry and the sausages will begin to fry in their own fat. Turn them occasionally and cook for another 10 minutes, or until they are well browned. Remove sausages from the pot and drain them on paper toweling.
- Pour sausage fat out of the pot but do not wash the pot. Set it over low heat, add the olive oil and onions and cook them, covered until tender about 25 minutes
- Add the peppers, raise the heat and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the wine, tomatoes, water, oregano, and thyme and season to taste with salt , black pepper and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the sausages into ½ inch thick rounds. When the sauce has simmered for 30 minutes add sausages and fennel seeds and simmer uncovered for another 20 minutes.
- Add parsley and chopped garlic and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Serve with Penne
Other serving suggestions are plain with just sprinkles of fresh parmesan; or a dollop of ricotta and fresh pepper grinds