Sunday, April 24, 2011

Creamy Pasta Sauce with Fresh Herbs

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
4 TBS sweet butter
1/2 tsp salt (I used half that)
1/8 tsp nutmeg
pinch of cayenne
1/4 cup grated imported parmesan cheese
1 cup finely chopped mixed fresh herbs (I used a combo of basil, mint, chives, watercress Italian parsley)
1 pound angel hair pasta

Combine the cream, butter, salt, nutmeg, and cayenne in a heavy saucepan and simmer for at least 15 minutes or until sauce is slightly reduced and thickened.

Whisk in the parmesan and herbs and simmer for another 5 minutes. Taste and correct seasonings. Serve immediately.

For the freezer version I simmered just a tad less as you will have to reheat it and I didn't want it to thick. Place in freezer bag to freeze. I would recommend cutting it out of the bag frozen when you are ready to thaw it. That way you wont loose sauce:)


2 cups of sauce is enough for 1 pound of pasta.
This recipe is from the Silver Palate Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment