* 3 cups beef broth
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 teaspoon onion salt
* 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 2 bay leaves
* 2 (.7 ounce) packages dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
* 1 (4-5 pound) rump roast
1. Combine broth with salt, ground black pepper, oregano, basil, onion salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, bay leaves, and salad dressing mix in a saucepan. Stir well, and bring to a boil. (If freezing beef, cool completely and add to beef in freezer bag.)
2. Place roast in slow cooker, and pour broth mixture over the meat.
3. Cover, and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours, or on High for 4 to 5 hours. When done, remove bay leaf, and shred meat with a fork.
Serve with Chicago style "giardiniera" relish and/or pepperoncinis and lots of juice. As they say in Chicago, "the wetter the better." (Note that while Chicago Italian beef sandwiches may also include Italian sausage as a "topping," true Chicago Italian beefs do not include melted cheese or sauteed onions. These are Philly beefs!)